If you purchased a new home last year, don’t forget to apply for Homestead Exemption by April 1st!
Generally, a homeowner is entitled to a homestead exemption on their home and land underneath provided the home was owned by the landowner and was their legal residence as of January 1st of the taxable year (O.C.G.A. § 48-5-40).
Application for Homestead Exemption
To be granted a homestead exemption, a person must actually occupy the home, and the home is considered their legal residence for all purposes. Persons that are away from their home because of health reasons will not be denied homestead exemption. A family member or friend can notify the tax receiver or tax commissioner and the homestead exemption will be granted (O.C.G.A. § 48-5-40).
Failure to apply by the deadline will result in loss of the exemption for that year (O.C.G.A. § 48-5-45).
Exemptions Offered by the State & Counties
The State of Georgia offers homestead exemptions to all qualifying homeowners. In some counties they have increased the amounts of their homestead exemptions by local legislation above the amounts offered by the State. As a general rule, the exemptions offered by the county are more beneficial to the homeowner.
For more information, visit: https://dor.georgia.gov/documents/property-tax-application-homestead-exemption.
Homestead Exemption in Your County
Click on a county name below to visit that specific county’s homestead exemption information page.
The deadline to file for all counties is April 1.
- Cherokee County, 678.493.6120
- Clayton County, 770.477.3311
- Cobb County, 770.528.8600
- City of Decatur, 404.370.4100
- If you live in the City of Decatur, YOU MUST APPLY FOR BOTH DECATUR AND DEKALB.
- DeKalb County, 404.298.4000
- City of Dunwoody homes are included in DeKalb County.
- Fayette County, 770.461.3652
- Forsyth County, 770.781.2106
- Fulton County, 404.612.6440
- City of Sandy Springs homes are included in Fulton County.
- Gwinnett County, 770.822.8800
- Henry County, 770.288.8180
- Paulding County, 770.443.7606
Leave a Reply